[RFC] IIO LRADC for mach-mxs

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:44:33 EST 2012

> >> Yes. See the documentation directory. Your plan sounds sensible.
> >
> > All right. Also, what did you mean by wiring touchscreen and such? I
> > assume I'd rather think about it in the design too, but how should I go
> > about it?
>
> There are two elements to this.  Pull devices (hwmon type - basicallyl
> polled from userspace) and push device (off trigger).
>
> The connection infrastructure is the same either way.  A version was
> reasonably widely reviewed but picked up some last minute comments that
> I have addressed in my dev tree but not pushed out more publically
> (small issue with order of module removal causing seg faults I need to
> chase down).
>
> Anyhow, discussion wise...
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/10/20/103
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-iio/msg03930.html
>
> Code wise, if you want to see the latest I just tend to hide my dev
> trees under odd names on kernel.org currentlly see.
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jic23/iio.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/h
> eads/inkern-staging3
>
> To outline briefly the current form (after working on Greg KHs
> comments). (pretty similar to regulators).
>
> In board file (or device tree - not implemented yet) platform data
> describing the consumers of channels on a given iio device is
> provided as an array of
>
> struct iio_map {
> 	const char *adc_channel_label;
> 	struct device *consumer_dev;
> 	const char *consumer_dev_name;
> 	const char *consumer_channel;
> };
>
> The driver then passes and a pointer to the associate iio_device
> to the core.
>
> Lets take the more complex triggered capture case.
>
> A consumer asks the iio_core for all iio_maps that match it (can request
> individual ones of course).
>
> This causes a new buffer to be inserted into a list that are fed
> by a demux unit into which data goes directly from the chip.
> This buffer is alongside any 'iio' buffers that are using the same
> part (and may contain some of the same channels).
>
> It simply calls a callback function provided by the consumer passing
> in a block of data matching one set of channels as requested by the
> consumer.
>
> Example in the tree mentioned above is a half written iio->input
> bridge.   We had some brief discussions a while back about how to
> handle the extra weirdness that touchscreen adcs use and didn't
> reach any firm conclusions IIRC.
>
> I'd imagine you'll need to expand some elements of this to support
> your usecase.  For starters there is no inkernel control of trigger
> parameters at the moment.
>
> All comments welcome.  I'll hopefully get a few mins to get the
> pull interface stuff out shortly then we can start hammering the
> push interface bit and for real fun how to combine the two.

Jonathan ... I'm getting seriously lost in this stuff. Basically:

1) Are there any userland utilities at all to test the IIO ? If so, where?
2) I can't do anything if I don't understand how whole this IIO works at all
and/or how to use it with my hardware.

So I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

Considering my hardware can do the oversampling (sum of 1 - 32 samples 12bit
samples), where the end of sampling causes an interrupt. I need to add
attributes to each of those four IIO devices I created to control this
oversampling (setting how many times it should be oversampled and what's the
delay inbetween the sampling?)

Or that's what that "trigger" stuff is for ?

Further question:
3) If I want to sample two channels continuously, is there any tool that'll
allow me to do it ? Or do I need to write such tool? (This is complementary to
question #1).

Thanks