Common clock API for i.MX

Sylwester Nawrocki snjw23 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:33:00 EST 2012

On 01/25/2012 03:44 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 07:45:15AM -0600, Matt Sealey wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
>> <linux at arm.linux.org.uk>  wrote:

>>> As far as I know, it still isn't ready (if it was, surely it would've
>>> been merged?)
>>>
>>> Grepping for clk_prepare() it looks like very few people have converted
>>> over to this - it's just the AMBA stuff, a few bits of OMAP and MXS.
>>> So even if the common clock stuff comes in, almost nothing will be able
>>> to use it:
>>>
>>> arch/arm/common/sa1111.c
>>> arch/arm/common/timer-sp.c
>>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/clock2xxx.c
>>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/clock.h
>>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/prcm.c
>>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/clock2430_data.c
>>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/clock2xxx.h
>>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/clock2420_data.c
>>> arch/arm/mach-mxs/clock-mx23.c
>>> arch/arm/mach-mxs/clock.c
>>> arch/arm/mach-mxs/timer.c
>>> arch/arm/mach-mxs/system.c
>>> arch/arm/mach-mxs/clock-mx28.c
>>> arch/arm/mach-mxs/mach-mx28evk.c
>>> arch/arm/kernel/smp_twd.c
>>> drivers/gpio/gpio-pxa.c
>>> drivers/tty/serial/amba-pl011.c
>>> drivers/tty/serial/mxs-auart.c
>>> drivers/tty/serial/amba-pl010.c
>>> drivers/amba/bus.c
>>> drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/fec.c
>>> drivers/net/can/flexcan.c
>>> drivers/video/omap2/dss/dsi.c
>>> drivers/video/amba-clcd.c
>>> drivers/video/mxsfb.c
>>> drivers/staging/tidspbridge/include/dspbridge/clk.h
>>> drivers/staging/tidspbridge/core/dsp-clock.c
>>> drivers/spi/spi-pl022.c
>>> drivers/mmc/host/mmci.c
>>> drivers/mmc/host/mxs-mmc.c
>>> drivers/dma/mxs-dma.c
>>> drivers/mtd/nand/gpmi-nand/gpmi-lib.c
>>>
>>> My conclusion, therefore, is that there's very little actual interest
>>> amongst the ARM community to move towards a common clk API.
>>
>> Maybe it's a chicken-egg thing; nobody wants to work on it until someone else
>> has done some legwork? :)
>
> That was the precise problem which clk_prepare() was meant to solve.
> Precisely nothing was happening in terms of mainline with all the
> discussions going around in circles.

There are some pending V4L API developments depending on common struct clk,
required for sub-device drivers reuse and needed for works on DT support.
Unfortunately none of the media drivers is converted to clk_prepare yet.
This is where clock APIs are used (drivers/media/):

video/atmel-isi.c
video/davinci/dm355_ccdc.c
video/davinci/dm644x_ccdc.c
video/davinci/isif.c
video/davinci/vpbe.c
video/fsl-viu.c
video/mx1_camera.c
video/mx2_camera.c
video/mx3_camera.c
video/omap1_camera.c
video/omap24xxcam.c
video/omap3isp/isp.c
video/omap3isp/ispvideo.c
video/pxa_camera.c
video/s5p-fimc/fimc-core.c
video/s5p-fimc/fimc-mdevice.c
video/s5p-fimc/mipi-csis.c
video/s5p-mfc/s5p_mfc_pm.c
video/s5p-tv/hdmi_drv.c
video/s5p-tv/mixer_drv.c
video/s5p-tv/sdo_drv.c

Seems like people are unaware the clk_prepare support is needed first.
So let's convert these modules now, rather than waiting for the common
struct clk conversion to magically happen. As it is really needed and
the efforts seem insignificant, at least for drivers/media/.

--

Thanks,
Sylwester