Building of arch/arm/plat-mxc/ssi-fiq.S failed w/ THUMB2 enabled?

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Jan 25 09:34:18 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 08:06:03AM -0600, Matt Sealey wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> >> That should work, sure -- I prefer to keep the number of instances where
> >> we need to do this to a minimum if we can, though.
> >
> > I vote for compiling this in ARM mode since it's a straight forward
> > solution.
> >
> > Some background:
> >
> > The original reason for creating this code was that we did not have SDMA
> > support at the time I wanted audio support. The FIQ code was a simple
> > way to seperate audio and DMA support and to push them to mainline
> > seperately. There is another reason for having this code though. The
> > i.MX SSI port is quite broken in AC97 mode. Some AC97 codecs like the
> > WM9712 always send data in slot 12 (IIRC it contains gpio status). The
> > SSI unit always puts all valid slots into the data stream, so we end up
> > having the audio rx data interleaved with the gpio status data. The FIQ
> > code is used to skip the gpio status data (see /* dummy read to skip
> > slot 12 */ in ssi-fiq.S).
>
> Okay so let's start with the thumb-isation of that code since it's
> breaking thumb2 kernel builds for i.MX with
> SSI audio (regardless of AC97 requirement).

Well, there's two solutions to this:

- we declare that it's obsolete now that SDMA support is in place.
- we always build the code in ARM mode.

I don't think the code should be converted to thumb, because that's going
to involve finding some way to allocate some place for it to save registers
and all that kind of thing - which for relocatable code isn't going to be
nice to do.  It's just easier to stick a .arm in there and be done with it.
(Remembering that it won't run on T2-only CPUs.  But then I doubt that it
would get run on such CPUs.)