ARM/ARM-SoC plans for v3.4 merge window

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Jan 23 06:49:02 EST 2012

This is an outline of the plan for this cycle, up to the next merge
window, agreed between Olof and myself.

As Nicolas' idle changes weren't merged before the last merge window
opened, we have decided that Nicolas will resubmit his changes after
-rc1 (in other words, now) and they will be merged into both the
arm-soc and my trees.

I have at least one other patch which has a high 'will cause horrible
conficts' rating (the debug option rearrangement patch), so I'll be
including that for the arm-soc tree as well.

However, what this does mean is that Arnd, Olof, and myself will be
in for up to three months of merge hell unless people take account of
these changes.

Therefore, our plan is to publish this as a baseline, and we'd really
appreciate any development submitted after that baseline has been
established is based upon those changes and does not conflict with
them.  That may mean you have to pull these changes into your tree
and merge them into your development work (and fix up any conflicts
there yourself.)

Once you've taken these changes into your tree, you must not rebase or
modify them.  Changing those commits will cause all hell to break loose,
and we'll have to refuse merging your tree (otherwise we'll be in Linus'
sights for a roasting at gas mark 2 million.)