OMAP3 L2/outer cache enabled in kernel (after being disabled by uBoot)?

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Tue Jan 17 15:45:48 EST 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Nicolas Pitre <nico at fluxnic.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
> >
> >> How about allowing platform hooks for single SOC builds. I mean having
> >> this code under !single_zImage or something like that. That way we don't
> >> impact the single zImage efforts and also allow socs to have all those
> >> critical, vital bits enabled for the SOC specific builds.
> >
> > Absolutely not!  Because if we start doing that, people will get lazy
> > and no platform will ever work in a multi-SOC kernel.
> >
> > If your SOC require some fancy setup that is not shared by other
> > platforms then please abstract that into the bootloader, or make sure it
> > can be deferred later on.
> >
> There is nothing fancy here. It's an ARM security architecture feature which
> OMAP implements. Have given enough reason about boot-loaders issues.

I was not convinced by those reasons. Just push harder on the bootloader
side.  There is _no_ reason for the bootloader not to take care of this
very platform specific issue.  You can even do it into a standalone
uImage that returns to u-Boot after it is done with its magic.

> Is OMAP getting beaten up here just because it uses ARM security
> feature and implements it's mechanics?

I don't care if this is OMAP, UX500 or i.MX.  There is a line to be
drawn and this is just too bad if you are trying to cross it.

Nicolas