[GIT PULL 05/11] SoC-level changes for tegra and omap

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Jan 10 11:08:56 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> What about using -C instead (which implies -M, but also detects copies) ?

I don't mind -C. It sometimes causes differences to what I see by
default, but those differences are often interesting.

But while it's interesting and relevant (unlike the non-rename patch
that is just noisy), it also can hide lots of lines. With -C, you can
get a diffstat that is actually fairly small, but that adds a lot of
lines to the kernel (because somebody just copied large files with
small changes), and if that happens I do want to see it as a "big
change". So for me, the plain "just show renames" is a good default.

So there is absolutely nothing wrong with -C. It's not what I use, but
when I see that the diffstats don't match, it's easy to notice why,
and that information is often fairly interesting, so I don't mind.

                    Linus