[RFC v2 1/2] dma-buf: Introduce dma buffer sharing mechanism

InKi Dae daeinki at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 05:10:25 EST 2012

2012/1/9 Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch>:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 03:20:48PM +0900, InKi Dae wrote:
>> I has test dmabuf based drm gem module for exynos and I found one problem.
>> you can refer to this test repository:
>> http://git.infradead.org/users/kmpark/linux-samsung/shortlog/refs/heads/exynos-drm-dmabuf
>>
>> at this repository, I added some exception codes for resource release
>> in addition to Dave's patch sets.
>>
>> let's suppose we use dmabuf based vb2 and drm gem with physically
>> continuous memory(no IOMMU) and we try to share allocated buffer
>> between them(v4l2 and drm driver).
>>
>> 1. request memory allocation through drm gem interface.
>> 2. request DRM_SET_PRIME ioctl with the gem handle to get a fd to the
>> gem object.
>> - internally, private gem based dmabuf moudle calls drm_buf_export()
>> to register allocated gem object to fd.
>> 3. request qbuf with the fd(got from 2) and DMABUF type to set the
>> buffer to v4l2 based device.
>> - internally, vb2 plug in module gets a buffer to the fd and then
>> calls dmabuf->ops->map_dmabuf() callback to get the sg table
>> containing physical memory info to the gem object. and then the
>> physical memory info would be copied to vb2_xx_buf object.
>> for DMABUF feature for v4l2 and videobuf2 framework, you can refer to
>> this repository:
>> git://github.com/robclark/kernel-omap4.git drmplane-dmabuf
>>
>> after that, if v4l2 driver want to release vb2_xx_buf object with
>> allocated memory region by user request, how should we do?. refcount
>> to vb2_xx_buf is dependent on videobuf2 framework. so when vb2_xx_buf
>> object is released videobuf2 framework don't know who is using the
>> physical memory region. so this physical memory region is released and
>> when drm driver tries to access the region or to release it also, a
>> problem would be induced.
>>
>> for this problem, I added get_shared_cnt() callback to dma-buf.h but
>> I'm not sure that this is good way. maybe there may be better way.
>> if there is any missing point, please let me know.
>
> The dma_buf object needs to hold a reference on the underlying
> (necessarily reference-counted) buffer object when the exporter creates
> the dma_buf handle. This reference should then get dropped in the
> exporters dma_buf->ops->release() function, which is only getting called
> when the last reference to the dma_buf disappears.

when the exporter creates the dma_buf handle(for example, gem -> fd),
I think the refcount of gem object should be increased at this point,
and decreased by dma_buf->ops->release() again because when the
dma_buf is created and dma_buf_export() is called, this dma_buf refers
to the gem object one time. and in case of inporter(fd -> gem),
file->f_count of the dma_buf is increased and then when this gem
object is released by user request such as drm close or
drn_gem_close_ioctl, dma_buf_put() should be called by
dma_buf->ops->detach() to decrease file->f_count again because the gem
object refers to the dma_buf. for this, you can refer to my test
repository I mentioned above. but the problem is that when a buffer is
released by one side, another can't know whether the buffer already
was released or not.
note : in case of sharing a buffer between v4l2 and drm driver, the
memory info would be copied vb2_xx_buf to xx_gem or xx_gem to
vb2_xx_buf through sg table. in this case, only memory info is used to
share, not some objects.

> If this doesn't work like that currently, we have a bug, and exporting the
> reference count or something similar can't fix that.
>
> Yours, Daniel
>
> PS: Please cut down the original mail when replying, otherwise it's pretty
> hard to find your response ;-)

Ok, got it. thanks. :)