[RFC v2 1/2] dma-buf: Introduce dma buffer sharing mechanism

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Jan 9 03:10:30 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 03:20:48PM +0900, InKi Dae wrote:
> I has test dmabuf based drm gem module for exynos and I found one problem.
> you can refer to this test repository:
> http://git.infradead.org/users/kmpark/linux-samsung/shortlog/refs/heads/exynos-drm-dmabuf
>
> at this repository, I added some exception codes for resource release
> in addition to Dave's patch sets.
>
> let's suppose we use dmabuf based vb2 and drm gem with physically
> continuous memory(no IOMMU) and we try to share allocated buffer
> between them(v4l2 and drm driver).
>
> 1. request memory allocation through drm gem interface.
> 2. request DRM_SET_PRIME ioctl with the gem handle to get a fd to the
> gem object.
> - internally, private gem based dmabuf moudle calls drm_buf_export()
> to register allocated gem object to fd.
> 3. request qbuf with the fd(got from 2) and DMABUF type to set the
> buffer to v4l2 based device.
> - internally, vb2 plug in module gets a buffer to the fd and then
> calls dmabuf->ops->map_dmabuf() callback to get the sg table
> containing physical memory info to the gem object. and then the
> physical memory info would be copied to vb2_xx_buf object.
> for DMABUF feature for v4l2 and videobuf2 framework, you can refer to
> this repository:
> git://github.com/robclark/kernel-omap4.git drmplane-dmabuf
>
> after that, if v4l2 driver want to release vb2_xx_buf object with
> allocated memory region by user request, how should we do?. refcount
> to vb2_xx_buf is dependent on videobuf2 framework. so when vb2_xx_buf
> object is released videobuf2 framework don't know who is using the
> physical memory region. so this physical memory region is released and
> when drm driver tries to access the region or to release it also, a
> problem would be induced.
>
> for this problem, I added get_shared_cnt() callback to dma-buf.h but
> I'm not sure that this is good way. maybe there may be better way.
> if there is any missing point, please let me know.

The dma_buf object needs to hold a reference on the underlying
(necessarily reference-counted) buffer object when the exporter creates
the dma_buf handle. This reference should then get dropped in the
exporters dma_buf->ops->release() function, which is only getting called
when the last reference to the dma_buf disappears.

If this doesn't work like that currently, we have a bug, and exporting the
reference count or something similar can't fix that.

Yours, Daniel

PS: Please cut down the original mail when replying, otherwise it's pretty
hard to find your response ;-)
--
Daniel Vetter
Mail: daniel at ffwll.ch