[RFC v1] PCIe support for the Armada 370 and Armada XP SoCs

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Sat Dec 29 04:33:59 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 04:49:15PM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 12/28/2012 02:16 PM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> > Dear Thierry Reding,

> >> That's great. I've been thinking about this some more and one problem
> >> we'll be facing is that none of the fake host bridges actually exist and
> >> therefore don't have any official PCI IDs. What I did for Tegra was just
> >> choose one of the nForce IDs, but that's obviously hackish. One solution
> >> would be to convince somebody benevolent to sponsor an ID for this
> >> particular purpose. I think Red Hat did so for Virtio.
> >
> > Indeed, that's a remaining problem to solve. Would be great to have
> > some vendor sponsoring a few IDs for that. At least for a fake PCI Host
> > Bridge and a fake PCI-to-PCI bridge.
>
> Is it actually necessary for a host/PCI bridge to show up on the PCI bus
> as device 0?

It isn't actually required to make PCI work, but it enables PCI device
matching to DT nodes with the generic code. If we leave out the host
bridge, then the matching becomes rather complicated and we'll most
likely have to special-case it (in the worst case on a per-mach basis).
The PCI core allows this by overriding the default implementations (weak
symbols) but doing so will conflict with the multi-platform work. Making
it work with multi-platform will probably require the addition of a
.of_match() to struct pci_ops or similar.

Faking a host bridge seems like the lesser evil to me.

Thierry