at91 gpio irq discrepancy in behavior vs. documentation

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Sat Dec 22 12:18:18 EST 2012

On 21:51 Fri 21 Dec     , Chris Verges wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In gpio.c for the mach-at91 family, there is a comment above the
> gpio_irq_mask() function which indicates that the AT91_PIN_* macros can
> be used directly as inputs into the request_irq() function.  (See
> arch/arm/mach-at91/gpio.c Line 489 in a 3.4.10 kernel if you aren't
> familiar with this comment block.)
>
> Following this comment block, to register an IRQ on the GPIO pin PA0,
> for example, one could do the following:
>
>     err = request_irq(AT91_PIN_PA0, ...);
this is not true for some release you must use gpio_to_irq now

we drop this when cleaniing the gpio support and switch to the irq domain

> I recently tested this on a board using an at91sam9g20 processor.  The
> image was running a vanilla 3.4.10 (no patches).  The request_irq() call
> succeeded, but in looking at /proc/interrupts, it seems like this causes
> an interrupt to be assign to the Advanced Interrupt Controller (AIC) on
> the processor:
>
>     $ cat /proc/interrupts
>                CPU0
>       1:    2478772       AIC  at91_tick, rtc0, ttyS0
>       7:          0       AIC  ttyS2
>       8:        150       AIC
>       9:         26       AIC  mmc0
>      12:        474       AIC
>      20:      62796       AIC  ohci_hcd:usb1
>     Err:          0
>
> Toggling the pin PA0 does not cause an interrupt.
>
> What I found works is wrapping the pin macro with gpio_to_irq():
>
>     err = request_irq(gpio_to_irq(AT91_PIN_PA0), ...);
>
>     $ cat /proc/interrupts
>                CPU0
>       1:    2478772       AIC  at91_tick, rtc0, ttyS0
>       7:          0       AIC  ttyS2
>       8:        150       AIC
>       9:         26       AIC  mmc0
>      12:        474       AIC
>      20:      62796       AIC  ohci_hcd:usb1
>     Err:          0
>
> Since this behavior is so contrary to the comment block in the gpio.c
> file, I'm wondering why there is such a discrepancy in behavior.  Is the
> comment block simply out of date?  I'm more than happy to submit a patch
> to update the documentation if that's the case.
this driver is now deprecated anyway as we switch to pinctrl now, that include
both pintrcl and gpio

We just keep it for old style platform for dt we do not use it

And any mainline board will now be DT

Best Regards,
J.