common clock framwork: clk_set_rate issue

Chao Xie xiechao.mail at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 01:49:25 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:19:21AM +0800, Chao Xie wrote:

>> > It's not that simple. The input clocks to a mux may not only differ in
>> > their rate but can also have other different properties, like for
>> > example one input may be always present whereas another input only runs
>> > when the CPU is in run mode.
>> >
>> > It may be a possibility to add a flag to the mux to explicitely
>> > allow reparenting on a rate change.
>> >
>> There is already a flag to do it.
>> CLK_SET_RATE_PARENT
>
> That flag has another meaning. It means that a clock is allowed to
> change the parents rate when a rate change is requested. What I meant
> is a flag that allows a mux to change its parent when a rate change is
> requested.

another flag can help it. what i mean is that i can clear the flag
CLK_SET_RATE_PARENT of MUX's children, so when clock changing will not
impact the MUX.

>> if the mux does not want to changes the input for clk_set_rate called
>> by its child, it can clear this flag.
>> The question is whether we need add the round_rate/recalc_rate for MUX
>> type of clock? Is there any special issue about it that why current
>> MUX implementation does not have these callbacks?
>
> They currently do not need these callbacks. When a clock does not have
> round_rate propagates up to the parent if CLK_SET_RATE_PARENT is set or
> it returns the parents rate if this flag is not set. The situation with
> set_rate is similar.

So it means that for a uart clock  that get its clock from
MUX --> DIV --> UART
when uart want to change its rate, the driver has to know the topology
of clock tree. It can not directly clk_set_rate(uart), because it only
change the DIV settings, and if we want to change the MUX input, we
have to invoke clk_set_parent(MUX). So the uart driver need to know
the clock tree topology, and it is not good for sharing a driver
between mutiple SOCs that has same UART controller IP.
That is what i am confused about.