devicetree support for efikasb

Arnaud Patard (Rtp) arnaud.patard at rtp-net.org
Mon Dec 17 07:04:50 EST 2012

Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:27:56PM +0100, Arnaud Patard wrote:
>> Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> writes:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> > I recently put some work into my Efika MX smartbook. Here are patches
>> > to make it work with a current kernel. It turned out that most of the
>> > stuff is quite straight forward. Unfortunately there is a lot missing
>> > in the USB area. Without USB support the Smartbook is pretty much
>> > useless, so most of the patches are for adding USB support.
>> >
>> > What currently works is:
>> >
>> > - USB
>>
>> Is it working or not ? Or you meant that it's working only if you merge
>> the usbmisc-related for imx5* patches ?
>
> It's working with the patches in the git branch. It requires usbmisc
> patches and also ULPI support for the chipidea driver. I only bashed
> the chipidea driver until it worked. The last time I looked at the
> chipidea driver patches on the mailing list they were so much in flux
> that it didn't make sense to me to post even more patches. I hope
> this settles soon.
>

>> > - Display
>>
>> Given that you wrote something for the mlt017, do you happen to have a
>> sii9022 driver too ? :)
>
> Only a very old one which won't work with the current code.

ok. so it's near to no driver for current kernels.

>> > - Battery
>>
>> I've not noticed something for the ac power supply in the dts. Did I miss something?
>
> I only added the following for the battery which is enough to detect it:
>
> 	battery: battery at 0b {
> 		compatible = "sbs,sbs-battery";
> 		reg = <0x0b>;
> 		sbs,battery-detect-gpios = <&gpio3 6 1>;
> 	};
>
> I haven't done anything with the ac power supply yet. I suppose it's
> detectable via a gpio, right?

it's gpio 3 3. Was wondering if it was not in the dts due to missing
information or due to not working.

>> > - keyboard/touchpad
>>
>> Did you try using the white led for 'caps lock' ?
>
> No, I only registered it as LED, I haven't tried to wire it up the caps
> lock functionality. For me capslock is the most useless feature on a
> keyboard, I usually reconfigure this to a addition modifier key anyway
> ;)
>

>> > - Sound (used to work, currently broken)
>> > - Wifi
>>
>> How did you enable it ? Did you configure the gpios to always enable it ?
>
> I configured the corresponding gpio as input, so it seems to get
> overwritten by the wifi switch. I don't know the schematics, but I'm
> able to turn Wifi off and on with the switch.

afaik, the wifi switch is killing bluetooth and wifi (and overrides the
gpios). With the gpios, you can get either bluetooth or wifi enabled
See http://git.rtp-net.org/?p=efika.git;a=blob;f=rfkill.patch for
instance.

>> > - LEDs
>>
>> You're not mentionning pata. Is it working or not ?
>
> Ah, missed that. PATA is working aswell. Only PIO though.

it was pio before so that's fine. I had some stuff to try to get pata on
DT before but I got stuck at the 'usb not working' stage. So, it's nice
to see that there's already a known-to-be-working one.

>> > I'm not posting the patches here since I do not consider them ready, but
>> > for everyone interested you can pull the following git tree. I have no
>> > idea if the patches work together with the preinstalled U-Boot, I use
>> > barebox on the Smartbook.
>>
>> I've (very quickly) tested it yesterday and it didn't even boot. I've
>> yet to look at the serial port output to check if it's a problem on my
>> side or a bug in the kernel.
>
> Do you mean barebox doesn't boot or the kernel doesn't boot?

No idea. All I get is a black screen, so I need to look at the serial
output. Oh, it's uboot not barebox btw. Sorry for the confusion.

Arnaud