[RFC v1] PCIe support for the Armada 370 and Armada XP SoCs

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Sun Dec 16 08:02:23 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 01:09:10PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> [...]
>     int (*config_write)(unsigned int portnum,..);
>     int (*window_setup)(unsigned int portnum,..);
>     int (*config_pcie_link_read)(unsgined int portnum,..);
>     int (*config_pcie_link_write)(unsigned int portnum,..);
> };
>
> // This gets passed to pci_common_init or something more general
> struct pcie_sw_rp
> {
>     // pcie_sw_rp's code has a pcie_ops associated with this
>     struct hw_pci pci;
>     unsigned int num_ports;
>     const struct pcie_sw_rp_ops *ops
> };
>
> pcie_sw_rp models a soft root port, a low level driver creates one of
> these objects and supplies pcie_sw_rp_ops. pcie_sw_rp's code is the
> entry point from the pci stack, via it's pcie_ops. A sw_rp bundles
> num_ports worth of physical PCI-E ports together into a root complex
> that has a single host bridge and a PCI-E bridge for every port. It
> hides the PCI-E configuration space of the underlying hardware from
> the kernel because the hardware is not a compliant with PCI.
>
> For all configuration operations
>  - If the target is 00:00.0 then return a static array of data
>    representing a standard PCI-E host bridge. Discard all writes.
>    This is easy
>  - For 00:0x10+N.0 where N is between 0 and num_ports
>    - Return static data for a bridge header
>      - Static bridge header, static secondary status,
>       slightly dynamic bridge ctrl
>      - PCI-E Root Port capability block
>        - Static Master state and caps
>        - call ops->config_pcie_link_* for the slave caps
>       (you should be able to get a prototype working without the PCI-E
>        capability block)
>     - No need for MSI, power management/etc.
>     - Map the AER cap via ops (not needed for basic support)
>    - Capture and cache writes to the four bridge window registers
>      (IO, MMIO, prefetch and busnumber)
>    - When the bridge window enable is set call ops->window_setup() on
>      all four captured resource ranges. window_setup is expected
>      to make it so CPU accesses to the given resource range appear on
>      that port.
>
> Most of the configuration block data can be a static array, only a
> little actually needs to be dynamic. You can review and copy the lspci
> dump from an Intel box to get this right.
>
> I didn't check, but the alignment requirements of bridge configuration
> and what the HW can do will have to match. If this can't be done then
> some kind of fixup to the PCI-E configurator would be needed........
>
> The purpose of all this is to correct the end-port focused PCI-E
> configuration space that Marvell and other SOC vendors use to have a
> correct root port configuration model. Hijacking the configuration IOs
> to do this is a bit ugly, but does present a correct and consistent
> view to userspace. Keeping it general will allow Samsung and others to
> use it as well.
>
> Probably a few hundred lines all told. It isn't 'hard' but it will be

This sounds like something we could very much use on Tegra as well. It's
the final piece of the puzzle if I understand correctly. Some entity
that the root ports can hang off of.

> The other approach would be to try and model all this directly via
> PCI-E structures, but there is no existing code support for that, and
> user space would see a very confusing view.

I agree, the configuration IO accessors seem to be the only way to get
the kernel and userspace to see the same view.

Thierry