[RFC v1] PCIe support for the Armada 370 and Armada XP SoCs

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Thu Dec 13 15:42:29 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:12:29AM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 12/13/2012 01:23 AM, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > Okay, so I gather that all of the above means that *if* the Tegra
> > PCIe controller is compliant, it should just work if we remove any
> > of the special cases. I'm not sure if anybody's actually tested
> > this or if it just isn't compliant. I'll see if I can find some
> > time to test this. Obviously it would be a whole lot nicer if the
> > hardware really was compliant so that we don't have to emulate the
> > host bridge in software.
>
> A little background here:
>
> IIUC, the Tegra PCIe controller is at least partially derived from
> previous MCP projects, which I /assume/ must have been fully compliant
> since they were standard x86 HW. I'm basing the derivation comment on
> the fact that certain aspects of the HW are the same as previous MCP
> designs apparently: the configuration space access register fields,
> and the physical (internal bus) addresses you write into PCIe
> controller's memory windows.
>
> So, this implies it's entirely possible that the PCIe controller is in
> fact fully compliant.
>
> That all said, it's quite possible that the parts which made it
> compliant were stripped out when taking the IP block out of MCP (where
> the upstream bus was probably HyperTransport?) and dumping it into
> Tegra, which required different logic to interface to the upstream bus.
>
> Hmmm. I guess all this still means that you just need to try it and
> see. If you need me to try to track down any answers about the HW, let
> me know.

So I tried this today and it breaks horribly. There's some internal
abort or something. I don't have access to the hardware right now and
forgot to save the log output, but I can follow up in the morning. Also
up until the abort, bus 0000:00.0 was identified as the virtual switch
within the FPGA that's connected to port 0, so that would indicate that
it isn't in fact compliant and neither root port is reachable via the
regular mapping.

I suppose that may be the reason why the downstream code implements the
special case for accesses to the root ports' configuration space.

Thierry