[RFC v1 08/16] arm: mvebu: the core PCIe driver

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Dec 13 14:09:28 EST 2012

Dear Jason Gunthorpe,

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:40:32 -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > If the IntA to IntD lines are all on the same host interrupt, you
> > might only need one line above and make the map-mask all zeroes.
>
> Well, no that is where the existing stuff goes wrong..
>
> Each of the four INTx's on each port need a dedicated linux interrupt
> vector. Sharing interrupts is bad. The chip has dedicated cause and
> mask bits so there is no reason to share.
>
> To do this the pex driver has to allocate 4 irq descs per port, setup
> a generic irq chip for the driver, use irq_set_chained_handler on the
> summary interrupt in the main cause register and then decode the INTx
> bits in the chained handler function. This is very straightforward and
> very much worth doing.

Yes, this is definitely part of my plans. For now, I kept the existing
PCIe implementation of Kirkwood and al with regard to IRQs, but when I
read more about INT{A,B,C,D} and the cause register that is available,
I immediately noted in my TODO-list: use a generic irq chip to
demultiplex those IRQ events.

Best regards,

Thomas
--