ARM realview breakages w/ 3.7 under qemu

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Thu Dec 13 12:48:17 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 05:26:25PM +0000, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Florian,

> I am experiencing several issues with the ARM RealView platform under qemu:
>
> 1) The RealView EB MP-Core is stuck in the timer calibration, this
> isssue was already present in all 3.6 kernels, and I have not yet been
> able to find the root cause of this. PBX A9 with the same kernel binary
> works flawlessly.

Can you try picking 810883f05982 ("ARM: 7594/1: Add .smp entry for
REALVIEW_EB") please?

> 2) There are some strange things happening with the RAM on these
> platforms too, for instance:
>
> - EB MP-Core: booting with 128MBytes of RAM does not work, booting with
> more than 256Mbytes results in the amount of RAM seen by the kernel
> truncated to 256Mbytes
>
> - PBX A9: booting with less than 1024MBytes of RAM causes this:
> [    0.000000] Truncating RAM at 20000000-3fffffff to -3f7fffff (vmalloc
> region overlap).
> [    0.000000] Ignoring RAM at 80000000-8fffffff (vmalloc region overlap).
>
> Do these issues sounds familiar to any of you? The kernel config is
> attached in case that helps.

I'm afraid these memory issues don't ring any bells with me, but I do
actually have hardware for EB MP and PBX so I can see if that works with
your .config (although you may have to wait until next week).

Can you provide your command lines please? I'm also assuming you're using
3.7?

Will