[ARM] head.S change broke platform device registration?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Dec 12 17:29:13 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 17:59 +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 03:55:45PM +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:

> > I suspect this was me and I was missing some of the subtleties in this
> > case. I think the eor to perturb the bus should be fine and fix this
> > code.
>
> Except... we're currently hitting the register at 0x08800040 (presumably
> a 64-byte offset) which doesn't appear in the scoop header file... so
> I'm not sure if this is a special register or not for this.  Also we need
> to know another register for the 2nd access which isn't going to cause
> problems.  Any suggestions?

Looking at spitz.c (which is the one which handles borzoi):

/* SCOOP Device #2 */
static struct resource spitz_scoop_2_resources[] = {
	[0] = {
		.start		= 0x08800040,
		.end		= 0x08800fff,
		.flags		= IORESOURCE_MEM,
	},
};

so we're reading SCOOP_MCR (offset 0x00). For the second register, I'd
suggest something from the reset code in scoop.c: 	iowrite16(0x00FF,
sdev->base + SCOOP_IRM)

looks appropriate since the 0x00ff value should perturb the bus. I'm
guessing MCR is some kind of memory control and handles device reset,
IRM is probably interrupt related and we don't use interrupt
functionality of the GPIO expander.

Does that help?

Cheers,

Richard