question about drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-at91.c

Julia Lawall julia.lawall at lip6.fr
Sat Dec 8 10:52:42 EST 2012

The function at91_dt_node_to_map in drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-at91.c
contains the following code:

        new_map = devm_kzalloc(pctldev->dev, sizeof(*new_map) * map_num, GFP_KERNEL);
         if (!new_map)
                 return -ENOMEM;

         *map = new_map;
         *num_maps = map_num;

         /* create mux map */
         parent = of_get_parent(np);
         if (!parent) {
                 kfree(new_map);
                 return -EINVAL;
         }

This is clearly not correct, because the combination of devm_kzalloc and
kfree risks creating a double free.  But I am not sure how best to fix it.
Is the data structure intended to normally exist until the driver's remove
function is called?  If so, perhaps the devm_kzalloc is OK.  If I just
remove the kfree, then the structure will persist until the remove
function is called, even though there was an error, which is perhaps not
good.  So I could change the kfree to devm_kfree?

thanks,
julia