Question: Multiple board support is broken

Alexander Shiyan shc_work at mail.ru
Sat Dec 8 04:58:45 EST 2012

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 09:26:18 +0000
Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> > > #  define machine_arch_type     __machine_arch_type
> > > # else
> > > #  define machine_arch_type     MACH_TYPE_NETWINDER
> > > # endif
> > > # define machine_is_netwinder() (machine_arch_type == MACH_TYPE_NETWINDER)
> > > #else
> > > # define machine_is_netwinder() (0)
> > > #endif
> > >
> > > #ifndef machine_arch_type
> > > #define machine_arch_type       __machine_arch_type
> > > #endif
> > >
> > > Now, if CONFIG_ARCH_EBSA285=y and CONFIG_ARCH_NETWINDER=n, then follow
> > > through what the preprocessor does.  In the first case, machine_arch_type
> > > is _not_ defined as a pre-processor symbol, so the "ifdef" is false.
> > > That means machine_arch_type gets defined as MACH_TYPE_EBSA285.
> > >
> > > machine_is_ebsa285() gets defined as (machine_arch_type == MACH_TYPE_EBSA285)
> > > and when all the macro subsitutions occur (which happens where it's used)
> > > this ends up becoming (MACH_TYPE_EBSA285 == MACH_TYPE_EBSA285).  This is
> > > always true, so any code inside an if (machine_is_ebsa285()) {} block will
> > > be compiled into the kernel and will be executed unconditionally - which
> > > is exactly what we want.
> > >
> > > Now, machine_is_netwinder() gets defined as constant (0).  This is always
> > > false, so any code inside an if (machine_is_netwinder()) {} block will
> > > be optimized away - exactly what we want.  This isn't affected by the
> > > machine_arch_type definition.
> > >
> > > Next, you can do the same thing for the CONFIG_ARCH_EBSA285=n and
> > > CONFIG_ARCH_NETWINDER=y case, and you'll end up with similar results.
> > >
> > > Finally for the case where CONFIG_ARCH_EBSA285=y and CONFIG_ARCH_NETWINDER=y.
> > > In this case, it starts off just like the CONFIG_ARCH_EBSA285=y case above.
> > > When we hit the CONFIG_ARCH_NETWINDER block a very important change happens.
> > > This time machine_arch_type is already defined.
> > >
> > > So, what happens is machine_arch_type first gets undefined to avoid any
> > > compiler warnings about multiple definitions.  We then define
> > > machine_arch_type to be the C variable __machine_arch_type.
> > >
> > > This makes any references to (machine_arch_type == MACH_TYPE_WHATEVER)
> > > become a runtime interpreted condition, which occurs for any machine type
> > > that has its config symbol enabled.  So, machine_is_ebsa285() becomes
> > > (__machine_arch_type == MACH_TYPE_EBSA285) and machine_is_netwinder()
> > > becomes (__machine_arch_type == MACH_TYPE_NETWINDER), while other
> > > platforms machine_is_xxx() macros remain defined to constant 0.
> > >
> > > So, this all works exactly as we want.  There is no bug here.
> >
> > Apparently the problem is that I have a custom symbol for their own board,
> > but I specify an existing ID in the MACHINE_START. The initial boot is fine,
> > because support for the ID is in the kernel, but the mach_desc is taken from
> > a different machine. Below is a test program to demonstrate. In this test I
> > boot kernel with ID=4 and I have a valid machines with ID=4 and 5, but symbol
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > associated with ID=4 is missing. This case will a result boot a machine ID=5.
> > How to solve the problem, I do not know yet...
> >
> > <<< test.c
> > #include <stdio.h>
> > #include <string.h>
> > #include <stdlib.h>
> >
> > //#define CONFIG_ARCH_EBSA285 1
> > #define CONFIG_ARCH_NETWINDER 1
> >
> > #define MACH_TYPE_EBSA285 4
> > #define MACH_TYPE_NETWINDER 5
> >
> > #ifdef CONFIG_ARCH_EBSA285
> > # ifdef machine_arch_type
> > # undef machine_arch_type
> > # define machine_arch_type __machine_arch_type
> > # else
> > # define machine_arch_type MACH_TYPE_EBSA285
> > # endif
> > # define machine_is_ebsa285() (machine_arch_type == MACH_TYPE_EBSA285)
> > #else
> > # define machine_is_ebsa285() (0)
> > #endif
> >
> > #ifdef CONFIG_ARCH_NETWINDER
> > # ifdef machine_arch_type
> > # undef machine_arch_type
> > # define machine_arch_type __machine_arch_type
> > # else
> > # define machine_arch_type MACH_TYPE_NETWINDER
> > # endif
> > # define machine_is_netwinder() (machine_arch_type == MACH_TYPE_NETWINDER)
> > #else
> > # define machine_is_netwinder() (0)
> > #endif
> >
> > #ifndef machine_arch_type
> > #define machine_arch_type __machine_arch_type
> > #endif
> >
> > unsigned int __machine_arch_type = MACH_TYPE_EBSA285; //From bootloader
> >
> > int main(int argc, char** argv)
> > {
> > 	if (machine_is_ebsa285())
> > 		printf("machine_is_ebsa285()\n");
> > 	if (machine_is_netwinder())
> > 		printf("machine_is_netwinder()\n");
> > 	printf("  machine_arch_type=%u\n", machine_arch_type);
> > 	printf("__machine_arch_type=%u\n", __machine_arch_type);
> >
> > 	return 0;
> > }
> > >>>

> > shc at shc /home/git/test $ ./test
> > machine_is_netwinder()
> >   machine_arch_type=5
> > __machine_arch_type=4
>
> That is working as designed, nothing wrong there.  You have EBSA285
> support disabled (you commented out CONFIG_ARCH_EBSA285) and you have
> Netwinder support enabled (CONFIG_ARCH_NETWINDER).  So,
> machine_is_ebsa285() is constant false and machine_is_netwinder() is
> constant true.
>
> However, such a kernel won't boot when passed ID 5 because it won't
> find the platform record in the kernel, and we explicitly error out
> in that case.
Why not? As I say before that I have a two valid machines with ID 4 and 5.
I can boot machine ID 5 by specifying this ID in the bootloader.

In any case, it's my fault that I do not specify the correct symbol,
associated with the ID. But even such issues can be avoided if we make
a comparison with the ID passed from the bootloader and not redefine it, ie:
#ifdef CONFIG_ARCH_NETWINDER
# define machine_is_netwinder() (__machine_arch_type == MACH_TYPE_NETWINDER)
#else
# define machine_is_netwinder() (0)
#endif

In this case, if we pass the ID 4 to bootloader, we will never have a macro
machine_is_xx() (that's right), but boot the correct machine.

Look at my solution for "gen_mach_types" in the first message of this thread.
Fixme, but on my opinion it will not affect the optimization.

--
Alexander Shiyan <shc_work at mail.ru>