common clock framework

Turquette, Mike mturquette at ti.com
Wed Apr 25 00:40:41 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Chao Xie <cxie4 at marvell.com> wrote:
> Hi, Mike
> I have a question about the code layout.
> Why put the clock implementation for every SOC chip into drivers/clk/XXX/? Why not just put it into arch/arm/XXX?

Hi Chao,

Looping in the rest of LAKML since this these discussions are better
on the list.

The platforms converting over to common clk may put their clock code
in drivers/clk/ or leave it in arch/arm/.  For OMAP we're leaving the
code in arch/arm/mach-omap2/ for the time being due to the disruptive
nature of moving it into drivers/, though we might try to move it into
drivers some day.

There is no hard and fast rule forcing you to migrate your code into
drivers/clk/.  However doing so does expose your code to more eyeballs
and increases the likelihood that we can find common solutions to
problems shared by multiple SoCs/devices.

Regards,
Mike