Handling device shared SFR on dt platform

Sylwester Nawrocki snjw23 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:35:50 EDT 2012

On 04/03/2012 06:04 PM, Grant Likely wrote:
>> What concerns me, is an overhead from region request/ioremap(?)/release,
>> just to access a single 32-bit register. I'm going to see if those accesses
>> could be moved to only device driver's probe() and remove() callbacks and
>> what might be the resulting power consumption increase from that, if any.
>
> Personally, I'd just create a shared function used by both drivers to
> access the register and protect it with a spinlock.  That way the
> region only needs to be mapped once, and the overhead is as low as
> possible.

Hmm, that's what I originally started with. I've just removed function
callback from the platform data struct in favour of having the drivers
using directly the function exported by plat-s5p. Then I started devising
something alternative, in hope to get rid of the drivers compilation
dependency on PLAT_S5P. There seems little point in that though, since
the chance to have those IP blocks available on other archs or ARM sub-archs,
than Samsung S5P/Exynos, are extremely low.

I'll post finally some patches for review. Thank you.

---
Regards,
Sylwester