PXA270 overlay problem

Vasily Khoruzhick anarsoul at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 15:48:51 EST 2011

On Monday 31 January 2011 20:35:05 Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2011 19:39:29 Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> > > But I map framebuffer only after FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO ioctl.

> > > Again, there's only one user - my app.
> >
> > I didn't look any deeper so I can't say - but it feels very much like
> > this kind of thing is responsible for your problem.
> >
> > Things actually get worse if I look at the driver:
> >
> > static int overlayfb_open(struct fb_info *info, int user)
> > {
> >
> >         /* allow only one user at a time */
> >         if (atomic_inc_and_test(&ofb->usage))
> >
> >                 return -EBUSY;
> >
> > This is rubbish.  atomic_inc_and_test(v) does:
> > 	val = *v;
> > 	val += 1;
> > 	*v = val;
> >
> > 	return val == 0;
> >
> > So this doesn't stop multiple opens (and arguably you _can't_ prevent
> > multiple opens anyway.)
> >
> > Anyway, I think it would be worth fixing this, and seeing what the effect
> > is.  Note that one of the side effects of one of this changes is that you
> > only get one attempt at increasing the memory size in
> > FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO. Once the buffer has been allocated, we never change
> > it - as there is no way of knowing whether it's mapped or not.
> >
> > The other change is that we properly remove all references to the
> > allocated memory when closing the device - which ensures that an open()
> > followed by mmap() with no FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO call will always fail.
> >
> > Lastly, it does allow concurrent opens, but makes sure that we have the
> > necessary number of closes before freeing the buffer.
> >
> > Please give this a try and see whether it makes any difference for you.
>
> Overlay still does not work, but now it does not crash system. Driver
> complains:
>
> [   36.062235] overlay1fb_disable: timeout disabling overlay1
>
> Regards
> Vasily

I got it working and now understand why this bug happens. pxafb driver tries
to enable overlay (and set its params, allocates memory) in fb_set_par
callback, but it will be called only if vscreeninfo is changed. But it
disables overlay (and frees memory) on release. I'll will send a patch as soon
as I fix it.

Regards
Vasily