PXA270 overlay problem

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Jan 31 08:04:14 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:46:00PM +0200, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> Hi, I'm experiencing problems with overlay1/overlay2 on PXA270 using pxafb
> driver. Main problem is overlays just don't work for some reason, and even
> more - after enabling any overlay something weird happens (LCD blinks for a
> 0.5 second, and then main plane comes back, no overlay plane is visible), I'm
> getting following messages on dmesg:
>
> [   93.679574] overlay1fb_disable: timeout disabling overlay1
> [   95.601537] BUG: Bad page state in process sh  pfn:a1b60
> [   95.601645] page:c0456c00 count:0 mapcount:0 mapping:  (null) index:0x0
> [   95.601698] page flags: 0x200(arch_1)

Ouch.  PG_arch_1 is our 'dcache clean' bit, which we set to indicate
that the page is clean.  This should never be set on a newly allocated
page.

It's cleared by generic code whenever a page enters the free lists, so
newly allocated pages should never have the bit set.

What your report means is that someone did DMA cache maintainence
(specifically, unmapping the page), copied the page as a result of
a COW fault, or called flush_dcache_page() on an already free'd page.

Maybe the pages were mapped into userspace, meanwhile someone free'd
the pages.

And yes, I can see one way that this could happen:

- open overlay
- map buffer
- set framebuffer parameters
   (free's mapped buffer, leaving the mapped one in place, creates new buffer)
- close overlay

Maybe another way:

static int overlayfb_release(struct fb_info *info, int user)
{
        struct pxafb_layer *ofb = (struct pxafb_layer*) info;

        atomic_dec(&ofb->usage);
        ofb->ops->disable(ofb);

        free_pages_exact(ofb->video_mem, ofb->video_mem_size);

So if two users open the overlay, both map it, and then one closes, the
memory backing the overlay gets freed - meanwhile the other user still
has it mapped etc.

The alloc/free stuff in there just looks really dangerous to me.