[RFC] add pwmlib support

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Fri Jan 28 19:21:17 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 8:12 AM, root <ben at fluff.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 01:21:21PM +0100, Sascha Hauer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> While implementing just another pwm driver I thought it's time to implement
>> generic pwm support. The following series adds drivers/pwm/pwmlib.c and
>> a i.MX23/28 pwm driver which serves as a usage example for pwmlib. The
>> code is inspired by gpiolib support and tested using the backlight pwm
>> driver by Eric Miao.
>
> You know, I really wish driver cores like this where not called lib... it
> is hardly as if they can be taken out of the kernel and usefully re-used
> in another project.

Well, I've never known a collection of code shared across multiple
client applications with the specific intent of consolidating
functonality under a single framework to be called many other things
than a "library". It doesn't matter what address space it's in, it's a
library of reusable code, so I think the name stands up.

Sascha, this is awesome, BTW. I'm going to see if I can get PWM for
MX5x and MC13892 under this..

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Product Development Analyst, Genesi USA, Inc.