ARM: relocation out of range (when loading a module)

Sachin Verma imschnvrm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 03:44:55 EST 2011

Hello,

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Nicolas Pitre
<nicolas.pitre at linaro.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>
>> Then came along the embedded initrd/initramfs idea which rather buggered
>> the scheme when large initramfs are embedded into the image.
>>
>> As the overall feeling at the time was "don't use large initrds" it's
>> something I've never really cared about - and I'm still of the opinion
>> that 16MB of compressed initrd/initramfs is rather silly.
>
> It is... but we have more than 32MB of RAM total now, and people are
> running standard distributions on ARM these days, such as Fedora or
> Ubuntu, including their corresponding initrd that may contain lots of
> modules, splashscreen data, etc.  So it might be a good idea to think
> about fixing this limitation before it comes back again.

in fact it is not just the initrd/initramfs size, i am facing issues
with loading modules on MMU-less envt(Cortex M3).
I have 128MB of Physical RAM and i am using a 4MB initrd to boot my
system. when i try to load kernel modules i get relocation errors.
As MMU-less systems are allowing modules to be loaded anywhere from
RAM and not from any predefined limits of MODULES_VADDR and
MODULES_END.

Do you have any pointers on how to tackle this situation for MMU less
environments?

Regards,
Sachin.