RFC: Host-endian device tree format

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed Jan 19 08:41:15 EST 2011

On Jan 19, 2011 3:43 AM, "Dave Martin" <dave.martin at linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Apologies if this has been discussed before--- I don't see an obvious
> rebuttal in my quick searching past threads, so I'll just quickly ask
> the question:
>
> Could we use host-endianness for the device tree binary blob?

Hi David.

This has been discussed thoroughly and rejected. The dtb isn't so much
bigendian as it is network byte order. While we /could/ switch it for arm,
it creates all kinds of problems with tools and working with .dtb files on
dissimilar platforms.  Plus all the property values must remain in BE
because all the bindings are already defined that way in the OpenFirmware
specifications.

Besides, there is no real advantage to changing it: it already works as-is
on le architectures.  :-)

g.