cannot fetch arm git tree

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Jan 21 09:50:26 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 03:28:14PM +0100, Detlef Vollmann wrote:
> It seems to be an implementation of the git protocol using
> HTTP as transport.
> Some info on this is at <http://progit.org/2010/03/04/smart-http.html>.

Setting up Smart HTTP

   To set it up, it■s best to walk through the instructions on the
   `git-http-backend` documentation page. Basically, you have to install Git
   v1.6.6 or higher on a server with an Apache 2.x webserver (it has to be
   Apache, currently - other CGI servers don■t work, last I checked). Then
   you add something similar to this to your http.conf file:

 SetEnv GIT_PROJECT_ROOT /var/www/git
 SetEnv GIT_HTTP_EXPORT_ALL
 ScriptAlias /git/ /usr/libexec/git-core/git-http-backend/

Great.  Deciding that it will be http://servername.example.com/git/ is
really damned annoying as that's traditionally where gitweb lives,
which requires a different script alias.

It seems that due to a lack of coordination between different git
developers, people running webservers have a choice between providing
gitweb or this http extension.

I'm really not interested in working out how to bodge this into working
along side the existing gitweb setup by adding lots of rewrite rules, so
as gitweb got there first I think it has priority, that's what we have
and we'll have to live without the smart http extensions.

It's really not that big a deal if you follow the advice I've given.