Locking in the clk API

Jassi Brar jassisinghbrar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 05:11:48 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 01:47:29PM +0900, Jassi Brar wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Jassi Brar <jassisinghbrar at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > This is exactly what I suggested in my last post, except the console example.
>> > Only to be a part of common clock api because it's not very safe to assume
>> > future SoCs will have the same simple clock topologies that they have today.
>> >
>> > Not to mean to teach, but I hope you realize with more and more
>> > device controller being crammed into ever shrinking SoCs,
>> > clock would eventually have to be flexible in functionality
>> > and complicated in hierarchy. Ben already gave examples
>> > of Audio, MFC and Video controllers of latest Samsung SoCs.
>>
>> plus
>>
>> a) If only Samsung bsp implements the api, it would be impossible to
>> share drivers, those that can be, with other platforms without nasty ifdef's.
>> b) If the task of unification starts with only a particular platform made to
>> implement a new api, the attempt kills its own purpose.
>
> I guess we give up with the idea of unifying the API then, because it is
> proving to be impossible to come to any kind of concensus.  Even ideas
> to solve the points of contention are argued against.
>
> I see no one else coming up with any practical ideas how to resolve this,
> but what I do see is that attempts to provide a solution to allow progress
> towards a unified API are shot down with great vigour.
>
> So from what I can see it's a complete waste of time discussing this any
> further.
>
> Unified clock API?  It'll *never* happen.

Why can't we have that new function, clk_setup or whatever, a part of new API?
For now, it'll just be a place holder whit NULL as platform specific hooks.
Eventually platforms like Samsung will have that filled and others
keep that empty.
Only let it be defined for drivers to always call clk_setup at probe
and clk_enable when
needed.
Or am I overlooking something?