[RFC+CFT] Use word operations in bitops

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Jan 18 10:43:44 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 04:32:57PM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:46:18AM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > > You could make life a bit easier (at least for us at Pengutronix,
> > > probably more) if you had a branch with a defined name for patches like
> > > these.  We could add that to our daily test then.
> >
> > No, because then it's not possible to properly tie down what has been
> > tested and what hasn't.
> >
> > The advantage of emailed patches is that when people reply to them, you
> > have a better idea that the patch to which they're replying to is the
> > one they tested.
> >
> > Such as in this case where the follow-up patch hasn't received any
> > replies, and so I can't add the one received tested-by to the follow-up
> > patch.  With the git approach, I wouldn't know what was tested unless
> > you included the commit IDs each time.
> >
> > And let's face it - if it was tested daily, are you going to go through
> > the hastle of digging out the commit IDs and emailing each day to say
> > what was tested?  That sounds to me like a _lot_ more work than testing
> > the occasional emailed patch.
> I maybe wouldn't report each success, I would report if my test fails.
> You can consider this more or less valuable. Still I think given the
> ease this could be done it's worth it.
>
> That's how linux-next works, too.

And linux-next is an extremely poor test of whether a patch is correct
or not.  It's a good test of whether there's any merge issues between
trees and that's all.

The point of posting patches to mailing lists is to get them:
(a) reviewed, and add Reviewed-by/Acked-by attributes to them
(b) get them tested by other people and successes reported back,
    as well as failures.

You don't get (b) from any automated test system, and (b) is what I'm
after.  It's completely pointless to throw them into some sort of branch
which gets automatically tested if there's no positive feedback coming
from such a test.

It gives nothing more than just throwing them at linux-next and listening
for the resounding silence.  I personally have never had anyone say "I
tested your patch X in linux-next and it really worked for me".  It just
doesn't happen.  And so it's useless as a system for testing the quality
of patches.

I have had the extremely _rare_ report that something has broken in
linux-next, but on the whole those virtually never happen even when there
has been breakage.  See the recent breakage of OMAP with the sched_clock()
fixes, which had been sitting in linux-next for about a week with no one
noticing.

So, no, I give zero value to automatic test systems as a means to ascertain
the quality of patches.  Their *only* use is as a tool to check whether
a particular combination of patches builds.  Nothing more.

I will continue to mail out patches which I want people to test and give
feedback on, because that is the _only_ way to do it.