ARM: relocation out of range (when loading a module)

Dave Martin dave.martin at linaro.org
Wed Jan 12 11:05:19 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Alexander Holler <holler at ahsoftware.de> wrote:
> Hello,

[...]

>                INIT_CALLS
>                CON_INITCALL
>                SECURITY_INITCALL
> +               /*
> +                * TODO: The size of INIT_RAM_FS could easily reach a
> +                * point (~16MB) when loading modules will fail because
> +                * relocations will be out of range. So this place here
> +                * isn't the best one.
> +                */
>                INIT_RAM_FS

In general, do we expect always to be able to avoid the situation
where branches in the kernel may need to cover too large a range ...
and is there any strategy for working aroung it?

If we have problems branching from the modules area into vmlinux, we
could possibly build modules with -fPIC : this would remove the
restriction on branch range, though there would also be some
performance impact for the modules...

Cheers
---Dave