How to handle named resources with DT?

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Aug 25 06:28:24 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 02:16:14AM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> on top of all that, for IPs which are used on many SoCs (such as MUSB)
> it's quite silly to force all users to provide resources in a certain
> order. It sounds to me that this will be prone to error in many ways
> until everything is synced up and on the correct order.
>
> Ditching _byname is a very bad idea.

I continue to disagree.  The current _byname is an abonimation and hack
to try to "fix" this problem.

_byname should have been implemented differently - rather than overriding
the resources name field (which is _normally_ specified to be the device
or driver name), a new field should have been introduced in struct resource
to carry the resource sub-name (which is really what it is.)

That would have avoided making /proc/iomem completely illegible with
multiple devices using this feature.