try_to_freeze() called with IRQs disabled on ARM

Tejun Heo tj at kernel.org
Tue Aug 23 17:53:42 EDT 2011

Hello,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:51 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw at sisk.pl> wrote:
>> and the boot runs very slowly.  Reverting the series merged in 56f0be
>> appears to resolve the issue,
>
> In fact, the patch from:
>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1083602/
>
> is sufficient to make the calltrace go away.

Yes, that's true but the added might_sleep() discovered an actual bug
here, so I still think it's better to keep it there.

If proper fix is difficult, I think doing something like if
(!in_atomic()) try_to_freeze() with big fat warning explaining what's
broken and how it should be fixed should do it for now if the proper
fix is gonna take some time. That way, we document what's broken where
it's broken and get to keep the useful debugging annotation.

Thank you.

--
tejun