plat-orion needs to enable PCIe ports for mv78xx0

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Mon Aug 22 19:45:33 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 05:34:13PM -0400, Joey Oravec wrote:

> On the Discovery series chips (mv78xx0), the CPU control and status
> register at offset 0x20104 contains bits to enable / disable PCI
> express port0 and port1. Both ports default to disabled.
>
> It looks the PCIe driver and existing board setup files do not set
> this bit; any boards that use PCIe and are working today might
> assume that the bootloader has already set the bit to enable these
> ports. I couldn't find anything in Marvell's documentation about
> timing, but the bits need to be set a long time before you touch any
> of the PCIe port registers.

(The delay referred to here is the time it takes for the PCIe link
to establish.)

I think the kernel should try to enable the PCIe ports if it finds them
to be disabled, and wait for some time to see if the link(s) come up.
(And if they don't, or if the ports were up when booting but link(s)
were down, disable the port(s) again.)

I also think the boot loader should enable the PCIe ports as soon as
possible if devices are known to be connected, to save on booting time.