46dcfc8 (ARM: Update mach-types) removes used machine types

Eric Miao eric.y.miao at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 10:09:11 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 03:36:12PM +0200, Marek Vasut wrote:

>> > No, I don't have the time at present.
>>
>> You're the head maintainer here and ARM is a rising architecture. If you can't
>> cope with that, you have a growing community of very competent people here.
>> Maybe someone will be willing to take over eventually? It'll relieve some
>> pressure from you too, what do you think?
>
> Hello.  Do you even understand the issue you're talking about?
>
> There is a problem _right_ _now_ with the mach-types file.
>
> That problem was caused by gplugd being merged without its entry being in
> the mach-types file - which was omitted - by way of editing by hand, along
> with shit loads of other entries - because of the fuckup with the
> machine_is_xxx() name not matching the configuration or MACH_TYPE symbol.

Grrrr.... as the original guilty one who stirred this whole pile of
sh*t up, should
I keep my mouth shut up on this?  ;-)

True that it's a stupid mistake for code to use non-matched machine entries
and it's fair to simply remove them.

Yet I guess what us sub-maintainers would like to know is the correct way
to amend this (after the incorrect entry being removed), and to better help
with "getting it right"?