of_iomap() matched with plan iounmap()

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Aug 22 10:07:25 EDT 2011

On Friday 19 August 2011, David Miller wrote:
> From: Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de>
> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:26:18 +0200
>
> > We could of course change all existing users of of_iounmap on sparc to use
> > the simpler prototype, because it also just calls iounmap.
>
> Check again, on sparc64 it needs the resource to release it.
>
> Only the 32-bit version on sparc evaluates to just a plain iounmap().

Ok, I see.

On Friday 19 August 2011, David Brown wrote:
> What if we left the SPARC calls alone, and changed of_iomap() into
> of_dt_iomap() and could then make of_dt_iounmap().  Or, it could just
> be of_dt_map(), and of_dt_unmap().

I think at some point in the future, we will have a mass-renaming
of of_* to dt_* or similar, which would result in a silly name.

Also, the of_iomap() name is modeled after pci_iomap/pci_iomap.

How about renaming the sparc of_ioremap/of_iounmap pair to
resource_iomap/resource_iounmap? I believe that it is not
(any more) tied to device tree based probing at all, and also
could be useful for other subsystems on non-sparc architectures.

	Arnd