[RFC,PATCH] arch/arm: compute and export NR_syscalls

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Aug 16 17:21:21 EDT 2011

On Tuesday 16 August 2011 16:14:26 Will Drewry wrote:

> asm-exports.c is added instead of reusing asm-offsets.c to avoid a
> variety of collisions (VM_EXEC, DMA_*, etc).  It is possible to use the
> same calls.S mechanism but add NR_syscalls to asm-offsets.c.  However,
> at inclusion time for generated/asm-offsets.h, conflicting defines will
> need to be #undef'd if !__ASSEMBLY__ since it appears that the purpose
> of asm-offsets.h is to safely bind C language definitions to assembly
> and not the reverse.
>
> - Is this approach palatable?
> - Should I resend only when paired with the other ftrace-needed patches?

This seems overly complex, compared to a one-line change adding the symbol
to asm/unistd.h. The only other architecture that uses an approach
like the one you have posted is x86-64, and it's simpler there
because it can easily be done in asm-offsets.c there without the need
to create another helper.

	Arnd