PB1176 broken in -rc1

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Aug 16 06:09:06 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:59:36AM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> The problem is with earlyprintk because your picking up multiple definitions
> of DEBUG_LL_UART_OFFSET as a result of basing your config on the defconfig.
>
> Take a look at arch/arm/mach-realview/include/mach/debug-macro.S. I don't
> think there's an easy way to fix this because it's used so early, even DT
> can't save us.

As I keep saying to people, only use the LL debug during _early_ platform
bring-up.  That's what it's there for.

Tying earlyprintk into the LL debug stuff has made the LL debug easier to
use, and therefore easier for people to fall into this trap.  That's not
the problem of the LL debug stuff, but the problem of its greater exposure.

So, as the LL debug stuff has this rule, so does earlyprintk.  Only use it
for early platform bring up and *once* you have a kernel booting through
to the proper console, disable it *immediately*.

Anything else will lead you into these pitfalls.