experience with the new arm-soc workflow (Was: Re: [Ksummit-2011-discuss] ARM Maintainers workshop at Kernel Summit) 2011

David Brown davidb at codeaurora.org
Sun Aug 7 00:11:24 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 12:13:48AM +0200, Michał Mirosław wrote:

> I, as another contributor, share Uwe's point of view. The problem with
> cleanups vs features is that either usually depends on the other.
> Fixes are a different beasts and they usually go in asynchronously
> (and quicker) to development changes. The split fixes/development
> works well in networking area (net and net-next trees).

Maybe we are thinking about two different kinds of cleanups.  Cleanups
that would be closely associated with a new feature do make sense to
me to keep together.  This is the kind of thing where code is cleaned
up in order to make it easier/cleaner to add the new code.  I don't
think this makes sense to have in another branch.

But, there is also a lot of code going on now that is just cleaning
things up, and it makes sense for this to be in a separate branch.

David