defining ARM machine type properly

Ben Dooks ben-linux at fluff.org
Wed May 26 21:07:42 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 05:11:22PM -0400, f. achkar wrote:
> hi,
> I'm trying to port smdk2450 arch to the a new kernel 2.6.32-9, I did the

I suspect what you are doing is trying to port it to a machine that
was loosley based on the SMDK2450 and that whoever did the uboot port
failed to understand that when the hardware changes then the machine
number needs to change too.

> initial work as per various googled documents, but somehow the current
> initial Image is failing at arch/arm/kernel/head-common.S :
> '__lookup_processor_type', and eventually goes to '__error_a' of the
> same file! this seems to be related to the definition of machine_type as
> defined in :
> include/asm-arm/mach-types.h  and arch/arm/tools/mach-types*
> I checked where the definition goes in  include/asm-arm/mach-types.h by
> inserting

you probably wanted to enable the debugging in the head code.

> #error 2223XX
> into various parts of that header and seems fine at the point.
> nevertheless I'm not 100 sure
> I wonder if the is a definitive reference to guide in this matter,
> better yet a check-list like procedure??
> thanks,
> ferar

How about downloading the latest kernel, with nice fresh S3C2450 support
in it?

--
Ben

Q:      What's a light-year?