zImage works, but not vmlinux

f. achkar fachkar.datawind at gmail.com
Tue May 25 13:30:59 EDT 2010

On 05/25/2010 01:12 PM, Kristoffer Ericson wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 01:07:27PM -0400, f. achkar wrote:

>>> Is that kernel compiled with early printk?
>>>

>> the kernel version is 2.6.21-1, and there is no early_printk support yet
>> for that version!
>> thanks
>>
> Then you should add some ascii_printk output so you get more info.
> I believe its described on arm wiki.

thanks for your approach ... pls read on:
I have j-link jtag connected to the target board I can successfully
debug via openocd + gdb various assembly codes that controls &
configures the target hardware, however when I try the same with the
vmlinux (root directory of linux source ) things don't go as expected!
I can stepi thought the initial code of the stext
(arch/arm/kernel/head.S) as per
http://www.linux-arm.org/LinuxBootLoader/SMPBoot

however when I reach :
smp_setup_processor_id();  in main.c: kernel_start , If I do in gdb
next, the control never returns to gdb, also I don't see any output on
the serial console!

that's why I have asked on how to boot or launch that same vmlinux which
I am trying to debug from within u-boot command prompt, and which simply
as mentioned hangs immediately.
To make things clear : I'm trying to LEARN how to debug remotely via
openocd (jtag) + gdb the linux kernel on an arm926ejs based target. Note
that zImage is working just fine for the same source tree of vmlinux.
thanks
ferar