WARNING about next merge window (Re: samsung merge window over)

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue May 25 04:00:31 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 08:34:54AM +0100, Ben Dooks wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 08:31:24AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> > > Thanks for your review and merging.
> > >
> > > And ok, we will continue our development and submit patches for the next
> > > merge window. Also, if we find any issues, we will submit patches for those
> > > also.
> >
> > The impression I have is that Samsung folk waited for the merge window
> > before sending their patches to the mailing list - there have been
> > about 320 messages attributable to 'samsung' or 's3' subjects since the
> > merge window opened.
> >
> > This is excessive, and isn't really practical - it swamps the mailing
> > list and makes it very easy to miss more relevant stuff during the
> > merge window.
>
> Yes, agreed. I have made the point to them again that this is too late
> in the development cycle. Unforunately due to the 'fun' with uk airspace
> my visit here was dealyed by nearly three weeks, which has left us with
> too little time.

Volcanic ash doesn't stop email working - or patches being reviewed.

> > So, please send the majority of patches *before* the merge window and
> > try to avoid sending anything but fixes during the merge window itself.
> > The merge window is for code which has _already_ been merged and has
> > been in linux-next to be merged into Linus' tree.  It's not for new
> > code to be reviewed.
>
> Next merge window, which will probably be the last I will handle for the
> S5P range, will have an earlier cut-off point. It was a big rush to get
> this lot reviewed and merged.

It also means that *NONE* of the stuff in your second pull request was
in linux-next for *any* time.  It also conflicted with my tree.  The
result of that is I'm expecting mainline to be dead for all ARM with:

arch/arm/Kconfig:883: can't open file "arch/arm/plat-s5pc1xx/Kconfig"

because of a mis-merge - and since that conflict was not picked up by
linux-next, it could not have been previously published.

For the next merge window, I will avoid reading email for the duration
of the window - which means those who are late for the merge window will
simply not have their patches and trees pulled.  This means we _will_
have time to resolve conflicts and find problems _before_ the merge
window.