Rampant ext3/4 corruption on 2.6.34-rc7 with VIVT ARM (Marvell 88f5182)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed May 12 20:15:14 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 17:00 +0200, Jan Kara wrote:

>  Could you get the filesystem image with: e2image -r /dev/sdb2 buggy-image
> bzip2 it and make it available somewhere? Maybe I could guess something
> from the way the filesystem gets corrupted.
>  Oh, and also overwrite the partition with zeros before calling mkfs to make
> the analysis simpler.

Here we go.

Created a smaller partition (100MB). dd'ed /dev/zero to it, dd'ed it off
to NFS host to locally cmp it with /dev/zero to make sure it's nice and
clean. It is. Then mkfs.ext3, mount, rsync over /usr/lib of my test
root, unmount, and dd it off to the NFS host again.

The result shows the same errors with fsck.ext3 -n -f ./test.img

I uploaded it at:

http://gate.crashing.org/~benh/test.img.bz2

Cheers,
Ben.