[GIT PULL] generic arm for MSM try2

Daniel Walker dwalker at codeaurora.org
Mon Mar 29 15:07:16 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 14:51 -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Daniel Walker wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 18:28 +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > > By putting such a boilerplate at the start of the file without some
> > > acknowledgement of its past history, they are effectively saying that
> > > their copyright extends to everything in the file.  That's certainly
> > > not the case; take a moment to consider how you'd feel if someone threw
> > > their copyright boilerplate on a file you'd written.
> >
> > There is git history on it. Anyone that looks at the git history would
> > know right off we didn't write the whole file. There's nothing stopping
> > other copyright holders from adding their copyright on top of ours.
>
> I think it is far more logical to view it the other way around: you
> don't need to add your own copyright notice for minor changes to every
> files you touch as the Git history already captures your contribution
> credits.

Git history captures who wrote the code, not who owns the code. I work
for QuiC (Qualcomm Innovation Center) , however, the copyright is "Code
Aurora Forum" .. The git history may list me as "@codeaurora.com" or
"@quicinc.com" , so given that you really can't be sure of the copyright
just with git history.

Daniel