request_irq in I2C driver causes kernel to freeze duringprobe, but if done later - no problem!

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Sat Mar 27 07:06:33 EDT 2010

> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:01:41AM +0100, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>> I assume that, since I request interrupt on falling edge
>> the interrupt will not be activated until the target
>> provides a new falling edge on the interrupt line.
>
> Does your interrupt controller support falling edge IRQs on the I2C
> controller?  Most SoCs provide you with only one fixed triggering
> method for on-board devices, which is normally only level sensitive.

It is not the I2C interrupt, it is a GPIO interrupt used by the external
device
indicating it needs service

The problem only occurs when the request_irq is executed in the probe.
I have written a sysfs routine which will do the request_irq, later when I
get a shell.
With this, rather cumbesome, method, everything seems to work OK.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson