ARM caches variants.

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Tue Mar 23 09:42:36 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 13:15 +0000, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 12:39 +0000, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> >> Now, the stupid question: why not using the cache colouring technique
> >> used for VIPT caches to solve issue #3 with VIVT caches?
> >
> > Because with aliasing VIPT it is guaranteed that if a virtual address
> > has the same offset in a 16KB block (i.e. the same colour - there are
> > only 4 colours given by bits 13 and 12 of the virtual address), you get
> > the same cache line allocated for a given physical address. The tag of a
> > cache line is given by bits 31..14 of the physical address.
> >
> > With VIVT, the cache tags are not aware of the physical address, hence
> > you can have 2^20 colours (bits 31..12 of the virtual address). You
> > would need to map a physical address at the same virtual address in all
> > applications sharing it (and you may end up with uClinux :)).
>
> Ok. I do not get it. Let us do it in slow motion: as I understand, the
> problem with issue #2 and #3 is not really about the tag, but about two
> different virtual addresses ending up using different cache lines,
> whatever the tag. By using cache colouring, can not we ensure that they
> end up in the same cache line and simply evict each other because they
> do not have the same tag?
>
> In other word, is not the cache line used by virtual address addr:
> (addr % cache size) / (cache line size)

With any cache line, you have an index and a tag for identifying it. The
cache may have multiple ways (e.g. 4-way associative) to speed up the
look-up. For a 32KB 4-way associative cache you have 8KB per way (2^13).

If the cache line size is 32B (2^5), the index of a cache line is:

addr & (2^13 - 1) >> 5

e.g. bits 12..5 from the VA are used for indexing the cache line.

The tag is given by the rest of the top bits, in the above case bits
31..13 of the VA (if VIVT cache) or PA (VIPT cache).

The cache look-up for a VA goes something like this:

     1. extracts the index. With a 4-way associative cache there are 4
        possible cache lines for this index
     2. extracts the tag (from either VA or PA, depending on the cache
        type). For VIPT caches, it needs to do a TLB look-up as well to
        find the physical address
     3. check the four cache lines identified by the index at step 1
        against their tag
     4. if the tag matches, you get a hit, otherwise a miss

For your #2 and #3 issues, if two processes map the same PA using
different VAs, data can end up pretty much anywhere in a VIVT cache. If
you calculate the index and tag (used to identify a cache line) for two
different VAs, the only common part are bits 11..5 of the index (since
they are inside a page). If you want to have the same index and tag for
the two different VAs, you end up with having to use the same VA in both
processes.

With VIPT caches, the tag is the same for issues #2 and #3. The only
difference may be in a few top bits of the index. In the above case,
it's bit 12 of the VA which may differ. This gives you two page colours
(with 64KB 4-way associative cache you have 2 bits for the colour
resulting in 4 colours).

--
Catalin