QUERY: How to handle SOC Configuration (Peripheral Multiplexing) in linux

Ben Dooks ben-linux at fluff.org
Wed Mar 17 12:30:23 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:36:09PM +0530, Viresh KUMAR wrote:
> Ben,

> > This is really bad idea, what happens if you have a selection of
> > boards with mutually-exclusive peripheral sets?
>
> In this case, we can have different defconfig files for different boards.

That is not acceptable, it makes life difficult for things like the
autobuilder (more configurations to process), for people trying to
package software distributions (each kernel requires a package, a set
of modules, requiring time to build and space to store).

The configuration is known to the board initialisation code in the
kernel, and thus it should be requesting a set of features from the
core SoC implementation saying what it wants. This can then ensure
that the configuration is mutually exclusive, ensure any resources
such as GPIO are correctly configured, etc.

Note, currently the s3c2410_defconfig builds 123Mbyte of modules.
Think about having m-machines' worth of those littering your development
system.

> > Making these sorts of
> > decisions at compile time is always a bad idea, it leaves people making
> > distributitions a lot of extra work.
> >

> I agree with this point but what is the other way for this.
>
> Doing this at runtime will have following issue:
>
> User have inserted a module and by mistake or lack of knowledge,
> he disabled already working IP(due to multiplexing). Now with Kconfig concept
> this is taken care of at the beginning only. User can't select peripherals which
> can't be enabled simultaneously.

Generally, all devices are registered at initialisation time. If there is
the chance of dynamically loading drivers afterwards, either you'll have
to do one of the following:

1) Change the driver to call the SoC code in the probe() code to ensure
   that it can get the required SoC resources

2) Ensure the board has reseved the SoC resources for the device at start
   time

Note, also unless you have very specific modules, your Kconfig approach
will break down if you forget to update the root-fs when changing the
kernel, otherwise modules you can't load will be left around.

Generally, runtime controls are much better than build time.

--
Ben

Q:      What's a light-year?
A:      One-third less calories than a regular year.