QUERY: How to handle SOC Configuration (Peripheral Multiplexing) in linux

Armando VISCONTI armando.visconti at st.com
Mon Mar 15 06:10:20 EDT 2010

Shiraz,

>> If you do it thru Kconfig still it would be fixed a compilation time.
>> Do you agree or am I missing something?
>>

> yes, and if you see, should any one require it dynamically? Each user
> would have his own board with static devices. This configuration (of
> selecting multiplexed devices) depends on his board configuration, which
> is the responsibility of the board configuration file.

This was also my understanding at the beginning.
But looking at the response from the community it
looks that it is better to have a single image for all boards
which is capable at runtime to be configured in the proper way.

>> So, probably the correct way is passing peripheral selection information
>> thru
>> bootargs.
>> What do you think?
>>

> This is very specific to how an SoC provides multiplexing options and will
> vary greatly. Which option of bootargs are you talking about?

Of course not a standard bootargs option.
I was more talking about a new specific option that is
passed thru bootargs and directed to a specific SPEAr function that
can apply the proper cfg and register setting, like someone (Ben?)
was suggesting.

In this option you should pass a bitmap or something like that.

Let me know your opinion on it.

Armando

--
-- "Every step appears to be the unavoidable consequence of the
-- preceding one." (A. Einstein)
Computer System Division          e-mail: armando.visconti at st.com
ST Microelectronics               TINA:   051  4683