board/device file names, and machine names

Bill Gatliff bgat at billgatliff.com
Tue Mar 2 22:52:48 EST 2010

Daniel Walker wrote:

> I'm ok with doing renames once all the code is merged .. That's always
> been one of the options with the Google code.

No.  Please, no.

The ideal outcome is that the kernel.org code becomes the canonical
source code for the platform, i.e. the difference between kernel.org and
Google/Qualcomm-internal code is nil.  You might not ever get there, but
you pretty much close off that opportunity entirely when you start
renaming stuff.

> However, we need some future direction .. If we do a rename later on
> with the older code, then we ideally want new code to be submitted with
> appropriate names..

... which requires work from all interested parties: Qualcomm, Google,
and the community.  Far less likely to happen than, say, we all learn
that "mahimahi == Nexus One" because we read it in a comment somewhere.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
Embedded systems training and consulting
bgat at billgatliff.com