board/device file names, and machine names

Bill Gatliff bgat at billgatliff.com
Tue Mar 2 22:25:01 EST 2010

Daniel Walker wrote:
> I was wondering if you (or the list) had any suggestions for proper
> names to use in these two cases. Under mach-msm we have tons of devices
> that could be added, and it can sometimes be hard to isolate a sane
> name ..

Nobody outside of Google, HTC and/or Qualcomm will know the internal
names for these devices.

The majority of kernel.org developers don't work for Google, HTC and/or
Qualcomm.  The internal names are therefore meaningless to the majority
of kernel.org developers.

Internet searches by the internal platform names will turn up nothing
useful.

I say use the product release names.  But in board-nexusone.c add a
comment that says "this board is also known as: ...".

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
Embedded systems training and consulting
bgat at billgatliff.com