board/device file names, and machine names

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Mar 2 18:51:37 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:29:58PM -0800, Daniel Walker wrote:
> So one device has at least three names (more I'm sure),
>
> 	Passion
> 	Mahimahi
> 	Nexus One
>
> Google has most of the code support under board files with the name
> mahimahi.

I see no reason why the internal names can't be used in the code; just
make the configuration option texts user-friendly so that the common
names for the devices are used.

A comment at the top of the file may also help.

As far as filenames go, let's keep them the same for now; we can rename
the filenames later once stuff is merged - while git can sort out
subsequent _merges_ with files renamed, but what it can't do is apply
patches on top of renamed files.  That's just something to be aware of
when chosing when to rename.